Friday 5 April 2013

The wise sayings: Hype and the Reality.

Part 1

When I was a toddler,I was taught by my teachers that "The evil gets punished, the god watches all". Being a child,I kept faith in their words,accepted it as my dogma. But as I "grew up",my cognitive thinking made one thing clear to me-no matter how much evil you may be,you make up a happier and a "reputed" living  if you have a strong network of contacts (which is indeed true, isn't it? In India, you need not to be worried about anything if your uncle is a MLA,or if your father is an IAS) It was difficult for me to accept things as they were coming to me in my adolescence,the real facet of the society. 

I have started to develop an abhorrence towards such wise sayings.I know,they are internationally acclaimed,the venerated men and their experiences can never be wrong. Maybe in a long run I'll be able to understand the value of what they cited,but their sayings makes no sense to me when I apply to the contemperory society.

I exemplify my point of view as follows:

Consider what was quoted by Albert Einstein:“Try not to become a man of success. Rather become a man of value”.
In the present day situation,committing an unethical deed is absolutely OKAY,as far as it helps you to become successful.Not many women would falter to declare a rape attempt by their boss(in case it never happened), if it helps them to manage a great position in the company as a compensation.

“To err is human, to forgive, divine.” ― Alexander Pope 
Okay,I don't want to sound sarcastic,but how many people in actual forgive the ones who have held war against you? Forget everything,the aunt in my neighborhood is among one of those,who engages a rebellion if you dared to ring their doorbell by mistake. The newer versions should be: "Forgive them on their face,but someday,silently, avenge for what they did" . Sounds more realistic.

And then there's this one : “No one has ever become poor by giving.” ― Anne Frank
People want to follow this,it seems,but the present day situation(where the one who is magnanimously paying for charity is looted unceasingly by a plethora of organisations,one after the another) makes it difficult for them to do the charity,ultimately renders them poor.  I remember the nuns at my school repeating the same quotation every time we were asked to pay bucks,in the name of charity,no matter whatever the event used to be(then be it any damn stupid ceremony!) Shelled out a great sum from us.

It seems like the "wise" sayings are rather anachronistic. I'll present to you a much "robust" and appropriate set of quotations which can fit well in the present-day in my next blog post.


Facebook Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment