Wednesday 27 June 2012

ARE WE TOO YOUNG TO USE SLANGS?

"You are a piece of rotten sh**"

I heard her saying. I have known this girl for two years. She had been adored for her vocabulary and her style(which resembles to Britney Spears). Personally speaking,I'v also liked her attitude,her style. But as I got to know her more(rather got to know more about her colloquials),there was something of her that sounded more distorting: flowery,but at the same time haughty. Later,I realised,she had "adorned" her speaking skills with use of SLANGS. 

The other day,my friend said to me "I really like the use of expressions in her speech."(you know,that girl always had that snobbish attitude on her face while speaking). And sooner,I realised that she had got everyone stirred up.

That got me thinking.."Expressions??They find her expressions interesting?? What is anyway expressed by such words?!"

Speaking on a personal note,I have never preferred to use of such words/slangs. With me, using proper official english,even while speaking,one can easily make out that neither have I watched many American films,nor have I read many novels.(I thank god that Iam not in America at this time,where the use of slangs is spread like an epidemic. Lately,I read this Indian girl quoting that she was stunned to hear her boss asking her to "Come,digg'in". Later,she understood that he actually asked her to join him and his friends for lunch.)


My personal choice is to make use of proper English,rather to use words which convey just half of the meaning what you actually want to say,the words which display nothing but fake attitude,and sheer rudeness. The number of people making use of slangs is increasing,surely it adds to the interest of a rather-bland language(Well,I can't question this "sublanguage",even Shakespeare used it in his works!). It potrays uniqueness of the person while speaking english (Absobloodylutely it  does!). But a difference has to be made out here: many people forcefully try to blend them in their language("hit a counsellor" rather than "consult a counsellor").We have slang-converter apps,slang-dictionaries (what for?To TEACH you how to speak slang?!If this is so I guess sooner we will be having a rather new subject in our courses). Speaking about Indians,it just leaves me wondering:Are we too young to use slangs?(Because we have not been able to expertise ourselves in the formal english,leave behind experimenting with the language!)

Would like to know your opinions regarding the question raised.Thankyou :)

2 comments:

  1. In and around teenage, people get lots of insecurities and they find many things to have an inferiority complex. Using slang starts in a person's life when they feel underconfident about: 1. their language skills, and/or 2. their overall personality. (A person who is confident about their language skills may still be affected by personality inferiority complex, to negotiate which they resort to slangs.)
    Unfortunately, the reason doesn't stay after teenage (as the person has become mature enough to deal with insecurities), but the habit remains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea,but sadly only a few people become mature enough to understand that its NOT cool to use them(especially when you dont have a perfect grammar,as in case of majority of Indians).

    ReplyDelete